More on that Halloween costume! I had to hand embroider this symbol on knit cloth, which is a lot harder than embroidery on woven cloth, because it stretches so. This is the symbol for Space in Homestuck, so if you know that comic you'll probably know whom I'm dressing up as.
In progress. I marked out my outline with thread basting. It would have been much easier to make an iron-on transfer or buy and alter a shirt from the Homestuck shop, but I don't usually do things the easy way, even when I really should.
Removed from the hoop, the symbol is more symmetrical, like it should be. Because of that darn old knit stretching, you see.
Unclean, a satirical short comic I made a while back, is now permanently available for reading here, in my Deviantart gallery. It pokes fun at shoujo (for girls) comics, which are often about emotional teenagers. Have a look!
In Minnesota this Summer, I acquired some great new clocks. I usually do, since antique prices in the small towns there are much better than in this big city.
This one I actually didn't acquire; it's my uncle's. An mid-century electric model that would have been hardwired into a wall in an office maybe, or train station? ^u^
This lovely miniature grandfather is an Engstler. It has a pendulum movement and should work once I can get it cleaned and oiled. It also has a secret (or not-so-secret, since the door handle is clearly visible) compartment in the base.
The Diehl on the left is my first working clockwork watch! It doesn't run very long after winding, but it does run! The band it came with was all corroded so I'm on the lookout for a new one. The little watch on the right doesn't work, so I removed the face and flipped the movement upside-down in the watch case, making the beautiful works visible for a unique bracelet.
Ozma from L. Frank Baum's Oz books and Jade from Homestuck. It was fun using just black and red ink and giving them that messy flowing hair. I'd like to draw more girls like this, especially if they have red diamonds.
I red-glittered these shoes for my Halloween costume. (It's not Dorothy, though!) They were originally the color and pattern of that patch in the instep. I looked up various how-tos online, and used a combined method.
1. I sanded the surface of the shoes to help the glue stick. This helped a lot, and I should have done it more.
2. I mixed school glue with water, to the consistency of dish soap, and then added glitter. I discovered you want a lot of glitter in there, so much that it thickens the mixture.
3. Then, I applied it with a paintbrush. It took about five coats to cover the surface thoroughly. Once dry, the glitter has stayed on really well.
I'll post more on this costume. Embroidery on knitted fabric is hard, but it's coming along!