Monday, August 1, 2016

Aitkin Age column - On trust, voting and survival

In my latest column for the Aitkin Independent Age, I go from local to national to civilizational politics.

I don’t have an opinion on the Aitkin school referendum. I don’t own any property that would be taxed nor have I any children and if I did I would home school them. I’ve been inside the high school and read all the Age has printed on the matter, but I still don’t feel like I know enough to make a judgment.
Therefore, I’m going to rely on the judgment of someone else, who knows the school, the students, the district and the administration very well, whom I admire and whose opinion I trust completely; and I will simply vote however he says I should.
Some might call this a dereliction of responsibility, that the power of the vote should never be based on anything but one’s own judgments. But representative government means entrusting the right to participate in government to others all the time. We have referenda on the local and state level but not national; this is not a direct democracy. We vote for politicians and are asked to trust their decisions rather than make decisions ourselves. I trust the person I mentioned infinitely more than I trust any politician, so I have no problem deferring to his judgment on this referendum.
This brings me to the current presidential race, the most intense and polarized of my experience.
Read the rest here.

No comments: