Sunday, April 21, 2019

Sir, where have you taken Him?


Fourth and final personal piece for Passiontide and Easter. (Though there is one more I'd like to do for the Easter season...)

She, thinking that it was the gardener, saith to him: Sir, if thou hast taken him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away. - John 20:15

I really like Noli Me Tangere paintings where Christ is in a full-out gardener disguise. Here's a nice article about that. (But look out, the modern pieces included are hideous.) And I wanted to do it in a sort of nineteenth-century milieu, inspired by antique greeting cards.

This wraps up my set of Paschal pictures by returning to Our Lord with Mary Magdalene, a model of repentance for us all. There can be no mercy without sorrow for and cessation of sin. Our sins crucified Christ. He rose so we could be forgiven. Let us cast them off and live anew in Him.

Happy Easter!

No comments: