Friday, August 2, 2013

St. Dominic coloring page --August pages


Just sent out the August pages. Included were:

Saint Alphonse Liguori
Saint Peter Julian Eymard (with Auguste Rodin)
Saint Jean Vianney
Dedication of the Basilica of Saint Mary Major
Transfiguration (new and quite different from my rendition in the Luminous Mysteries set)
Saint Sixtus II and companions
Saint Dominic (above)
Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein) (with Martin Heidegger)
Saint Lawrence
Saint Clare
Saint Jane Frances de Chantal
Saint Pontian and Saint Hippolytus (Pope and anti-Pope. Awesome forgiveness!)
Saint Maximilian Kolbe
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin
Saint Stephen of Hungary
Saint John Eudes
Saint Bernard
Saint Pius X
Queenship of the Blessed Virgin
Saint Rose of Lima
Saint Bartholomew
Saint Louis
Saint Monica
Saint Augustine
Martyrdom of Saint John the Baptist
Saint Margaret Clitherow, Saint Margaret Ward, and Saint Anne Line (who turned out looking like they're going to beat you up. Well, these are tough ladies.)
Saint Aidan

This bunch was a doozy. Twenty-seven pages and because of the two-part thing with July, much less time than usual to draw them. I got really exhausted, but had to keep going. And something happened that I'm sure other artists have experienced; at some point shortly after the point where I felt like I couldn't keep this up, I started doing what I think is some somewhat amazing work. Saints Pontian and Hippolytus through Saint Stephen of Hungary I'm very proud of. I think the Assumption is the best of all.

This period of inspiration culminated in my discovery of István, a Király, a Hungarian rock opera about St. Stephen of Hungary, which I listened to all during the drawing of his page. I couldn't understand it, needless to say, but it's awesome. (That gives you an idea of how long these pages take.) 


No comments: