Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Three memes for the teens - years in review

At the end of this my first year with art as my full-time job, I'm looking back using a few art compilation memes.


January is a detail from The Day-by-Day Coloring Book of Saints; February and October from the Bovodar and the Bears upcoming graphic novel and September from the new edition of the novel; and August from Clockwork Dancer, the first issue of which, by the way, is now available through writer Jon Del Arroz's Patreon.


This one covers the main influences on me becoming serious about drawing, going back almost twenty years. I did follow its additional challenge of one 3x3, two 2x2, etc., mainly because that made it a sort of puzzle, which fits with what the biggest influence is.

Row by row from the top, left to right: John R. Neill's illustrations for the Oz books; traditional Catholic and Orthodox religious art; Malice Mizer; Fire Emblem 4: Seisen no Keifu; Ace Attorney and Professor Layton; Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle; Final Fantasy VII, especially the environments; Virginie Merrienne; The Legend of Zelda, particularly Wind Waker; Pokemon; pre-Raphaelite art; Patrick Palmer, my main teacher in art school; and Toshio Ebine, as inspiration for the future as I newly move into gouache.

I am very grateful to the makers of all these works and hope to achieve something comparable.


Finally, this one covers the teens, which happen to be the years since I first started trying to make a go of it professionally, to now, the end of my first full-time year. To be quite honest, the monetary return was not very great to start, but several substantial projects, as named above, were established and sent underway. I expect that 2020 will see them really take off!

1 comment:

respicamar said...

A fascinating look back. You've got a very rich portfolio there.