Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Gettysburg postcards

One kind of perk for Paper Doll Veronika Paper Doll Club members is uploads from my collection of antique ephemera, such as I use for the chapter title cards. As a special bonus during the crowdfund campaign for printed books, I'm sharing some with everybody!













Looking at these now may evoke bittersweet irony (especially "Eternal Peace in a Nation United") but let us, finding ourselves overlooking a somewhat similar prospect, draw moral example from the courage and steadfastness of heroes like Lee, the countenance of whose monument when recently disgracefully destroyed reminded me forcefully of the Holy Face of Christ. Let us all be such an icon even in, if it comes to it, worldly defeat. And this is something I seek to express, however lightly, in Paper Doll Veronika, too.

No comments: