Saturday, June 29, 2019

A counterintuitive publicity strategy

I just designated my Facebook account for deletion, and while never having had an account on Twitter, I've blocked myself from it. If I'm ever able to log back into Tumblr, I'll delete my blogs there, and while I like Instagram, I'm considering whether I should get off there, since it's part of Mark Zuckerberg's evil empire.

This may seem foolish for someone trying to make a living via freelance art, and maybe it is, but the truth is I never got the hang of making social media net me clients. My lucrative contacts have been made mostly through this blog, with a few through Deviantart, Gab, the comments on others' blogs, and real-life networking. I'm hoping that, with fewer internet places at which to scatter my unfocused efforts, I can concentrate my focused efforts on just this blog, Deviantart, and my fast-approaching webcomic site. For the past few weeks I've been way more active online than for years. This is not just to try to get more eyes on my work--though I won't lie, I hope for that result too--but also because I really want to find more peoples' original creative works I can enthusiastically follow and support.

Many of the huge, corporate IPs are decaying: Marvel, DC, Star Wars, etc. Independent creators hold the key to future glory in storytelling. So if you have a story: a novel, a comic, let me know! I'll check it out. I can't promise I'll follow it if it's not my cup of tea, but I can promise to give it a chance. In return, I ask that you give mine a chance. You'll find me here and on Deviantart, soon on paperdollveronika.com, and when it returns in triumph, Socialgalactic.

2 comments:

Laramie Hirsch said...

Yeah, most definitely. I've been heavily considering getting off of Facebook, seeing as how Facebook is turning people into the police for "hate speech." Facebook is an info-gathering psy-op that's on record as having been abused by Zuckerberg to an egregious degree.

In the past, I've tried looking at Facebook this way: It's a big party I wasn't invited to, and I'm crashing it.

Another way I've recently looked at things: we should stick to our own communities and our own sites, and we should only pop our heads up if we're prepared to be a martyr to one degree or another. For example, in one of my recent blog posts, I discuss how the early Christians laid low to stay safe and preserve themselves. But some people who would choose to be bold and confrontational would rise and take a stand against the current, knowing what would happen to them. So, I suppose if you're going to go onto Facebook with that attitude, perhaps it'd be acceptable.

I'll be honest, I haven't excised myself from Facebook as of yet. I'd probably only lose 20% of my audience if I did it. But I'll say this for sure: I do not talk as much on there as I used to.

Now, I've only just now gotten a really developed Twitter account. But I can see them easily turning the way of Facebook. I can't wait for Social Galactic.

Mary MacArthur said...

I agree heartily with all of your points. For me, there was also the fact that I've always hated Facebook's interface, so using it was a frustrating chore.

The Christians in pagan Rome are a very relevant example right now. Recently, I read for the first time about some of them adopting guerilla tactics against the persecution, which I'd not heard of before! It was in the story of St. Quiteria and her sisters, which may not be very historically rigorous, however.

It's going to be awesome when Socialgalactic comes back. Its short first life was such a fun time; and I can't help thinking there's a special camaraderie between those who were there for it.