Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Scene from The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle

 

"The goose, Mr. Holmes! The goose, sir!" he gasped.

"Eh? What of it, then? Has it returned to life and flapped off through the kitchen window?" Holmes twisted himself round upon the sofa to get a fairer view of the man's excited face.

"See here, sir! See what my wife found in its crop!" He held out his hand and displayed on the centre of the palm a brilliantly scintillating blue stone, rather smaller than a bean in size, but of such purity and radiance that it twinkled like an electric point in the dark hollow of his hand.


My second Christmas picture for this year, and second of my series of illustrations of Sherlock Holmes stories in the context of Great Ace Attorney.

I had a bit of a reading comprehension failure here. Carelessly, I imagined Peterson as a policeman because it's normal for policemen to rush in and share their findings with Sherlock. I drew it, then I was like, "Wait, was he a policeman?" and looked back at the book: No, he wasn't, he was a "commissionaire." I wasn't sure what exactly that meant, the only seemingly-relevant result in a cursory internet search wanted to teach me Polish, so I just left it. After all, this is in an imagined context of Iris having fictionalized events for the stories, so if some things are different, it makes sense.

In any case, I'm very pleased how this turned out. I think I'm getting better with value range. Merry Christmas!

No comments: